Friday, December 30, 2011

A Shift in Code and Platforms That Provide Downward Opposition

There was a newer version of the base platforming code I was using that decided to implement. It provides several bug fixes, which is helpful. But most importantly it has built-in infrastructure that allows for jump through platforms and moving platforms. This code is a revised version of brod's work, created by a dude who goes around the Internet with the name "Ace." So one of those. But despite my apparent disrespect for the lack of originality in his online handle, his revision work is very useful. It was originally connected to a more vast engine of his but I severed it off since I'm not in need of the other features his engine offers. Transferring the code, I cleaned up the grammar to match that of the rest of my code and re-implemented the modifications I made to the previous set. This process went surprisingly smoothly with almost no problems. I was afraid that Ace's more complex code would present some problems I couldn't foresee, but apparently I am becoming a better programmer. Hurray.


With this new code, I was able to quickly add jump through platforms. Now those exist in my game, bringing me one step closer to realizing my ridiculously ambitious vision. Thankfully, after some experimentation with room transitions, I have already started to scale back the vision to something both more reasonable and interesting. That is a good sign. Always.







Earlier I had mentioned that some of the ideas I currently have for this project have it leaning towards being like Zelda. I was originally going to have large dungeons that consisted of large grids of rooms. There would be no scrolling of the screen, just individual frames. This concept is hard to explain in words, but an example of this is the overworld of the original Legend of Zelda, where the player moves from area to area, each area filling the screen. An other example can be found in a game like Knytt Stories. I ran into some issues making this work in a satisfying way however, and now the idea is that each dungeon is simply a small, one room affair, each with its own idea. I think this is an interesting direction to go in; it is a beautiful return to the simple, one room stages of early video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment